Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Shopping trip to Dompu

Went into Dompu to refresh the underwear I've been traveling with this past year. I'd already bought 2 pairs of size L, that fit like a Brazilian bikini.
I asked around the vendors along the main street and was directed upstairs to Sumbawa's version of WalMart. The store was empty of customers yet teeming with young Muslim shop girls dressed in headscarves and traditional clothing.
I was attempting to casually browse the merchandise selections, and locate the underwear with out causing too much of a disturbance. But it wasn't going to happen. Two girls approached to offer assistance. After hearing what I was looking for they burst into giggles.
Hoping to grab the underwear, pay and gracefully exit the store. I was surrounded by 6-7 shop girls who wanted to chat.
"What size shoe do you wear?" one asked. The rest giggled.
Why do they need to know my shoe size, when I want to buy underpants? To sell me some socks?
The excitement in the store was growing. I thanked them for their kind assistance and bolted to the relative safety of Dompu's dirty streets.

No comments: